Any foreigner who wishes to work in Singapore and is not eligible for issue of Work Pass can apply for Work Permit (WP). WP is primarily for unskilled workers. The person applying (through employer) must be from a country/territory approved for this purpose. A WP is valid only for working in a specific sector for which it is issued.
Some important points to note:
- Where an employer applies for a WP for the first time, the company is required to declare its activities to the authorities in the manner provided. Rules for issue of WP vary depending on the nationality of the applicant. The employer who obtains a WP on behalf of a foreigner can request cancellation of the WP under some circumstances.
- The application form must be signed by the applicant, and endorsed with the sponsor company’s seal and signature of its authorized officer.
- In cases where the applicant is below 16 years, the application must be signed by one of the parents (usually the benefactor) in addition to other requirements.
- A passport-size photo of the applicant taken within 3 months preceding the date on which application is submitted.
- All particulars pertaining to the applicant’s passport and travel documents. Applicants who share a common passport with the benefactor should submit details as in the benefactor’s passport/travel documents.
Minimum/maximum age limits for issue of Work Permit :
- Minimum age for a Work Permit is 18 years (for all nationalities)
- Maximum age limit for Malaysians is 56 years
- Maximum age limit for non-Malaysians is 58 years
Responsibilities of employers in respect of WP
- Obligation to pay Foreign Worker Levy as prescribed
- Pay the salary as mentioned in the application
- Arrange for medical examination of the worker as per rules
- Take care of medical expenses related to the worker
- Buy a minimum insurance as prescribed by rules
- Follow the terms and conditions of the Employment Act
- Ensure housing and provide proper healthcare
All employers who employ non-Malaysians under Work Permit are required to execute bond with the authorities as prescribed by the rul